Thursday, May 24, 2007

Question #2 - 1984

What is the climax of this novel? What happens? How do the events of this novel make you feel?

The climax of this novel happens when Winston Smith is tortured in Room 101 with the rats in a cage. The finally question comes down to this scene in the novel: will Winston still keep his promise to Julia, or will he betray Julia to the government? The reader is kept in suspense as he/she wonders what will Winston do. The reader's question is answered with Winston saying, "Do it to Julia! Do it to Julia! Not me! Julia! I don't care what you to do her! Tear her face off, strip her to the bones. Not me! Julia! Not me!" (Pg. 236)

The events in this novel made me feel very sad. To be honest, though, I cannot blame Winston for betraying Julia. If someone had tortured me with what scared me the most, I would have probably betrayed someone, too. I think everyone would have. The government used this fact to make everyone who had anti-governmental feelings to betray someone who was close to them, like with Winston betraying Julia. Another thing that made me sad was the fact that none of the people were allowed to have differing ideas. In the novel, the people are taught that everything Big Brother says is true, and anything that goes against what he says is false. If I had to live under a government like this, I would have probably already been arrested, because I often have very opposing thoughts to the government these days.

However, the events in the novel also made me feel stronger in what I believed in. The novel taught me that people shouldn't have blind obedience for a government, because if they do, the country will never be strong and the people will be living in darkness.

No comments: