Friday, May 25, 2007

Question #5 - 1984

Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? Or disturbing? Or memorable? Describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.

One setting in the novel that I found very beautiful was the place Winston and Julia went to first meet and talk. It was a secluded area outdoors, far from prying eyes, and leaves were everywhere, while a bird was perched on a branch. I really enjoyed this scene in the book, because I felt this was the one peaceful scene where Winston didn't have to worry about being followed by the Thought Police or the eyes of Big Brother, which contrasted very much with the other scenes portrayed in this novel. While reading the novel, for the most part I was held in suspense. However, this was the one scene where I was relaxed and calm. I could picture Winston becoming calm, too, instead of stiff with anxiety about being caught by the Thought Police.

The scene that I thought was most disturbing was the scene where Winston was about to be tortured in Room 101. I was extremely tense when O'Brien was describing the brutality of the rats, I could picture in my mind Winston sitting in the chair, horrified about being ripped apart by the vicious rats. The room itself was also very disturbing. A dark room containing whatever a person fears the most is definitely a scary thought. While I was reading this part of the novel, I myself was scared as I thought about what frightened me the most.

For most part of this novel, the setting was a dark, gray city. However, there were flashes of color here and there, the most being at the scene where Winston and Julia met, and the least being in Room 101, because the darkest place is the place where everyone's fears are.

1 comment:

Stephanie Chun said...

I was actually quite worried when i read the part where they first met. I was worried if thought police suddenly dashes in and catch them =(.. but i guess i felt less intense then i read other parts like you did. I really liked how george orwell explain the place.